Don't know if animal, insect or disease damage

Post here if you are having disease problems in your vegetable garden.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
CarolN
antispam: no
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Don't know if animal, insect or disease damage

Post by CarolN » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:17 pm

A few of my tomatoes are showing this symptom. Not all fruit on each plant, just one here and there. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Carol
Attachments
IMG_1296(1).JPG
IMG_1296(1).JPG (117.2 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Don't know if animal, insect or disease damage

Post by lorijones » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:46 pm

I think there could be a few things this could be. I don't think it is an insect. Tomato fruit worms would drill a very round hole in the fruit. It is possible that it could be turtle damage if the fruit is on or near the ground but I'm not sure if they would take a bite out of a green tomato.
I am more suspicious that this was not caused by an animal or a disease.
It could be cat facing or tomato zippering. Either one of these could cause the damage that you are showing.
Cat facing is thought to result from the abnormal development of the flower bud or flower – before the fruit is even formed! The factors that lead to cat facing in tomatoes are normally environmental, including cool temperatures before and during flower formation. Other causes of cat facing in tomatoes are any type of physical damage to the flowers, herbicide damage (such as drift from nearby 2,4-D spraying), and sometimes excessive pruning of tomato plants. Varieties that produce large tomatoes, such as beefsteaks and the large-fruited heirloom tomatoes, are more prone to cat facing than small-fruited varieties. Normally, tomatoes that are disfigured from cat facing are still edible however they may ripen unevenly and they can be difficult to slice – I just chunk them up instead! Cat facing usually occurs at the blossom end.
Tomato zippering occurs when one of the anthers of the tomato flower sticks to the fruit as it is developing. This causes a scar that runs down the side of the fruit from the stem end to the blossom end. In some cases, an irregular-shaped hole develops in addition to the scar. Some tomato varieties are more prone to zippering. It looks in the photo that there is a narrow scar that runs from the top through the hole and down to the blossom end so I think this is probably what it is. There is nothing that you can do to prevent it but hopefully most of your tomatoes will develop normally!

CarolN
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Post by CarolN » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Wow, what great information! Thank you so much! I agree with you that it is zippering because all the fruit that is showing this has it on the side, not the blossom end.

Again, thank you! You certainly have a wealth of knowledge and we all appreciate you sharing it with us.

Best regards,
Carol

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:23 pm

You are very welcome! Thanks for using our Discussion Board!

Ellenlavallie
city_state: Waterloo, IL

Post by Ellenlavallie » Thu May 09, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks for the information.

Reva
city_state: Arizona

Post by Reva » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:54 am

I also want to know what is it