Dutch Elm - Bark Peeling

Post here if you have disease problems on deciduous trees, evergreens, or ornamental trees like dogwoods or crape myrtles
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
jsd4times4
antispam: no
city_state: Richmond_VA

Dutch Elm - Bark Peeling

Post by jsd4times4 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi! I have a dutch elm in my front yard - approx. 5 years old. This year in the fall the bark started peeling from the ground to about 6 feel up. All bark from there up is fine though. I was afraid it was dead but this spring its budding beautifully and leaves are ready to pop all over it. Has anyone seen this before? Do I need to do anything about it or should I just let it go? I've attached a picture as well. Thanks for any help or advice you can give!!!
Attachments
Dutch Elm.JPG
Dutch Elm.JPG (170.14 KiB) Viewed 887 times

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Dutch Elm - Bark Peeling

Post by lorijones » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:43 pm

This looks very much like the bark pattern of the Lacebark or Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia). This exfoliating bark, leaving a mottled combination of gray, green, orange, and brown, is normal for these trees and is actually one of their most desirable characteristics. Other elm species do not have this type of bark. If you still have the tag from when you got this tree, check to see if it is indeed Ulmus parvifolia or lacebark elm.

jsd4times4

Post by jsd4times4 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:45 am

Hey -thanks so much for the reply - that makes me feel much better......however I don't remember seeing this before on this tree? I don't have the tag - the City of Richmond put in years ago to replace a huge elm that went down in a storm (its on the strip of grass between my sidewalk and the street - city property). I was allowed to choose the type of tree I wanted as a replacement and I'm almost positive I remember choosing what was titled "Dutch Elm - Disease Resistant Strain" but my memory may be playing games with me! I'll keep an eye on it and hope it's just a characteristic of the tree type. Thanks!

jsd4times4

Post by jsd4times4 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 am

I just googled Lacebark Elm - you are right! That's it! Thanks so much. I'm happy to know the tree we've grown to love isn't dying!

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:13 am

Wonderful! This is a very nice species of elm; tough and durable with beautiful bark!

Marybeth
city_state: Viette

Post by Marybeth » Mon May 13, 2019 3:38 am

This exfoliating bark, leaving a mottled combination of gray, green, orange, and brown, is normal for these trees and is actually one of their most desirable characteristics mega moolah
. Other elm species do not have this type of bark.

Return to “Trees including Evergreens and Ornamentals”