Helleborus

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
playsindirt
antispam: no
city_state: Conshohocken, Pa SE Pennsylvania

Helleborus

Post by playsindirt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

I am in SE Pennsylvania....my Helleborus are starting to push buds. Second year for their return for me. Should I cut the dry leaves from around the buds now? There is new green leaves also starting. Thank you.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Helleborus

Post by lorijones » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 am

Yes, now is the time to cut the old foliage back while the new is still very small and more out of the way. Be careful not to nick the flower stems. This is also a great time to cut back the old foliage of Epimedium and Liriope so you don't have to work around the new growth.

Return to “Maintenance & Propagating”