hibiscus storm damage

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
dolphin1955
antispam: no
city_state: new oxford, pa 17350

hibiscus storm damage

Post by dolphin1955 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 am

hi, i have had to branches on my perennial hibiscus break off from storm & wind damge. they still have nice white and beige roots on the bottom and new leaves coming out on the branches and i have put them in a vase with water.... my question is can they be replanted and if so what is the best way to do it....thank you.... i live in new oxford, pa 17350 zip

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: hibiscus storm damage

Post by lorijones » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Are these branches you are talking about stems from a multi-stemmed hibiscus clump or are they branches that have broken off the main stems? If the branches/stems that have broken off have roots, you can plant them, otherwise they will not grow. Normally branches that have broken off the main stem will not root and cannot be planted to form new plants. If they are actually stems that have broken away from the main clump and include roots, you can go ahead and plant them and they might continue to grow and make a new plant.

dolphin1955
city_state: new oxford, pa 17350

Post by dolphin1955 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 pm

yes they are from the main clump, thank you very much for the info..... the branches from the main clump are about 3 and a half feet tall each one and in the wind storm that we had 2 of them broke off at the ground. i have now tied the rest to a stake to prevent this from happening again and i have put the broken ones with the roots in a large pot with dirt and keeping them pretty moist hoping they take good root in that and then i will transplant them to the ground in a couple of weeks and hope for the best... once again thank you... i listen to andres show every weekend on the radio and have learned alot from him... i had a bad slug problem on some of my plants and got the slug magic that he suggested and wahlah i no longer have a problem and beautiful dahlias... i didnt even know what was making the holes in their leaves until i heard it on his show and went out that evening after dark and sure enough they were covered with those nasty things.... i appreciate him and this site very much.....

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:10 am

Great! Glad you are getting good tips from Andre's radio show. He is amazing with what he knows about all thins gardening!
On the hibiscus branches that broke off and that you planted, if you didn't do so, it would probably be a good idea to cut them back to about a third to a half of their height. That way they won't lose too much water from their leaves and and will put more energy into root growth. Hope they take hold!

Return to “Maintenance & Propagating”