Pampas grasses

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
margiij
antispam: no
city_state: New Hope, VA

Pampas grasses

Post by margiij » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:16 pm

I have a very large pampas grass as you enter my driveway. I usually do not cut it until March; however, I have noticed in driving by your home, that you have cut some of the grasses in front. Is that what I should do? During the recent winters, where the snow is very heavy, I have noticed that these grasses break up and fall down. Is it better to cut them now in the fall?
I truly appreciate your expertise, and am anxious to know what to do to these grasses.
Sincerely,
GiGi Jones

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Pampas grasses

Post by lorijones » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:25 pm

GiGi - It is best to leave these grasses through the winter and cut them back in the spring before they begin to grow. I would continue to do this in March as you have been. The old foliage helps protect these semi-tender perennial grasses over the winter. It is not ideal to cut them in the fall but we sometimes cut some of our ornamental grasses in the fall to allow better visibility when exiting the driveway of the nursery.
After you cut them back in the spring, you should "comb" out (use a metal garden rake of 3-tined cultivator) as much of the dead foliage that is covering the crown as you can.
If the clump is very large or dying out in the center, you may want to divide it. You can dig the whole clump (which may be really difficult with a mature clump!) or cut into the clump with the blade of your shovel and just dig up a few sections of the clump, leaving a portion in the ground.

margiij
city_state: New Hope, VA

Re: Pampas grasses

Post by margiij » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Thank you so much for answering my question! I am glad to know that I should continue what I have been doing. Your advice on dividing the roots will certainly be put into good use this Spring. Many thanks to you again!
Sincerely,
Gigi Jones

Return to “Maintenance & Propagating”