Non-blooming daffodils

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
conestoga73
antispam: no

Non-blooming daffodils

Post by conestoga73 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm

I have a bed of Breck's white daffodils that have bloomed in the past. This year I had prolific foliage but no blooms. I did not fertilize this spring nor in the fall. Is it a matter of fertilization or the cold winter? I had other daffodils that did bloom. Do I need to divide them? :Powhatan, VA.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Non-blooming daffodils

Post by lorijones » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 pm

There are several reasons why daffodils might not bloom well or may fail to bloom all together. Many times it has to do with the variety of daffodil that was planted. Some varieties are better "naturalizers" than others, meaning they will proliferate well and bloom for many years with very little care. If daffodil clumps are too compacted, they sometimes cease to produce flowers or flower production will decline. If this is the case, the clumps should be divided. It also may be a nutritional issue since they haven't been fertilized. Here is a link that gives some more information on why daffodils fail to bloom: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=714.

Return to “Maintenance & Propagating”