What to do with Lavender

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
amcooper
antispam: no
city_state: Staunton VA

What to do with Lavender

Post by amcooper » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am

I have several lavender bushes in my front yard. They are quite woody and overgrown and I want to cut them back to hopefully provide more flowers, but also to get them back from the pathway some. When is the best time to do this - or should I think about removing them and putting in new plants?

Several years ago there were lots of flowers, this past year - not so many.

Thanks,
Angel Cooper

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: What to do with Lavender

Post by lorijones » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 am

You are lucky to have had such good luck with your lavender plants. They must like where they are growing. If left unpruned, lavender plants eventually become floppy and sparse. Annual pruning keeps them neater and more compact. This can be accomplished by shearing or by pruning individual stems. In areas with colder winters like we have, do this pruning in the early spring; in areas with milder winters, they can be pruned right after they finish flowering. Prune to remove the old flower stems, removing at least one inch of the leafy growth below the spent flowers. Old, neglected, overgrown lavender plants cannot usually be rejuvenated by more severe pruning; they should be replaced with young vigorous plants. This may be the best course of action if they have been in the ground for many years. You can try pruning them this spring and see how they respond. If they don't flush out with nice new growth, consider replacing them.

Return to “Maintenance & Propagating”