what to pull from the garden for winter

Post here if you have questions about cutting, shearing, dividing, overwintering, etc.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
andyseeley
antispam: no
city_state: Williamsburg, Virginia

what to pull from the garden for winter

Post by andyseeley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 am

I am a caregiver who tries to tend to the gardens when my care giving skills are not required. The full time gardener (who does not stay at this residence) is helpful some times but not always. Should I pull the dead and dying vinca? I have already pulled all the cleomes and shook them around to disperse their seeds; same with the coxcomb. What about forget-me nots? do they need to be pulled? I am leaving the mums based on info read on your site. I was told to cut the cannas off at about 3 inches above the ground. Only have about 1/3 of them cut ; there is still an entire fence line to be done.

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: what to pull from the garden for winter

Post by lorijones » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

If the Forget-Me-Nots you have are one of the perennial forms and not an annual Forget-Me-Not, then you don't want to pull them. Leave them to regrow and flower next spring. The mums should be left and cut back in the spring. Cutting the cannas back to 3" is correct. Just mulch them lightly to protect them.

Return to “Maintenance & Propagating”