nelie stevens holly

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

nelie stevens holly

Postby Jack63 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:55 am

I have a space about 3 1/2 ft wide where I want to plant a nelie stevens holly. Can this shrub be kept at that width? I would like it to grow up to 5 - 6ft tall. If not, any recommendations on a shrub that I can maintain in this type of space? It gets morning sun.

Thanks (great web site!)

Re: nelie stevens holly

Postby lorijones » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:03 pm

'Nellie Stevens' typically grows 15' - 25' tall and 8' - 12' wide. Though you could probably keep it within the bounds you require, it would take constant pruning and you would need to begin shaping it when it was small.

A better choice might be the small leaf holly, Ilex crenata. This is a more upright, compact species that is easier to shear.
The yew, Taxus'Hicksii', would be another choice. You could keep this sheared to fit in the required space.
Boxwood would be another suggestion. Buxus sempervirens, Buxus microphylla koreana, or Buxus microphylla japonica would be good boxwoods to consider. They can be sheared as needed to fit into the space you have.
Good luck!
Site Admin

Return to Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations