canaan fir & black walnut trees

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

canaan fir & black walnut trees

Postby sharonj » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:55 pm

I would like to know of canaan firs are known to tolerate black walnut tree toxicity. Also, will canaan firs tolerate dry soil areas. My soil tends to be dry, clay. I live in south central Pennsylvania. Thank you!

Re: canaan fir & black walnut trees

Postby lorijones » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:26 pm

I don't have any information on whether Canaan Fir is tolerant of the juglone toxin exuded from all parts of the Black Walnut tree. I have checked several lists of juglone-tolerant trees and none list any type of fir so my guess is that they are probably not tolerant. Another strike against planting a Canaan fir in your situation is that they really prefer moist but well-drained soil that is rich in humus. They can actually tolerate wetter soils than many fir trees, but dry clay soil, unless it is amended well with compost and peat, would probably not be a good soil environment for these trees. You probably should choose a different tree. Here is a good article on black walnut toxicity that lists some tolerant tree species at the end:
Site Admin

Return to Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations