Trees providing shade in summer

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Trees providing shade in summer

Postby momlala » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:46 am

I would like to plant a tree that is relatively fast growing to provide shade to the front of my house in summer which gets direct Eastern sun from 7:30am to 2pm. But I don't want an evergreen so that in the winter my home is getting the direct sunlight. I had a fruit bearing plum tree that was perfect but after 30 years it split during a snow storm right across my lawn. I would like to stay away from any fruit trees.

Re: Trees providing shade in summer

Postby lorijones » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 pm

A very nice choice would be a red maple called 'October Brilliance'. This is a fairly fast growing tree that reaches about 40' tall and spreads to 30'. The new leaves are brilliant red in the spring and the foliage matures to a deep green in the summer. The fall color is outstanding with red to orange or brilliant yellow color.
Another great choice would be the Katsuratree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum). This is a beautiful tree with multi season interest. It grows about 40' - 60' tall and has a medium to fast growth rate. Here is a post from our discussion board about this tree:
Site Admin

Return to Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations