Native plants

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
gardengirl
antispam: no
city_state: Troutville_VA

Native plants

Post by gardengirl » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:09 pm

I would like a list of plants, shrubs, and trees that are native to the Roanoke Valley/southern Shenandoah area. I'm in the process of planning several perennial beds and would like to use only native plants.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Native plants

Post by lorijones » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Rather that reinvent the wheel, here is a link to the Virginia DCR page on native plants: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural_her ... ants.shtml. In the right column, you will see links to regional lists of native plants. If you click on the Mountain Native Plants, that will give you a list of the plants, including trees and shrubs, that are native to your area. The list is fairly extensive and should give you lots to choose from.

gardengirl
city_state: Troutville_VA

Re: Native plants

Post by gardengirl » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Thank you for the great link. I appreciate it.

Return to “Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations”