I need to replace an overgrown (35yr. old) juniper

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
gardeningjoy
antispam: no
city_state: king george, virginia

I need to replace an overgrown (35yr. old) juniper

Post by gardeningjoy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:36 pm

I live in King George County, VA. I have a hedge that is 35 years old in full sun. The shrubs have grown to 6 feet tall and wide. The end one was encroaching so much into the drive that we had to cut it out. It's companions do provide a nice screen along the yard's border that I want to save but I need a juniper that won't grow as wide but will complete the hedge. It could be in the gray family or green. Do you have a recommendation? Thank you.
Joy Veazey
jgveazey@aol.com

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: I need to replace an overgrown (35yr. old) juniper

Post by lorijones » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Andre has compiled lists of some of his favorite trees and shrubs for privacy. Here is the list of smaller evergreens for screening: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=129. There are several junipers listed that might suit your needs.

gardeningjoy
city_state: king george, virginia

Re: I need to replace an overgrown (35yr. old) juniper

Post by gardeningjoy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Lori and Andre, Somehow your reply ended up in my Spam file. I just discovered it tonight. Thanks so much for these suggestions. I'll begin looking for them with the hope of planting one :D this spring.
Joy Veazey

Return to “Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations”