Shrubs for birds

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
CarolN
antispam: no
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Shrubs for birds

Post by CarolN » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I live in Dutchess County, New York.

I have areas in my garden where shrubs were growing but they have been completely taken over by some horrid vining weeds. This fall/winter I will remove everything and start again in the spring. I will have about six 10' wide areas to replant. I would like suggestions for shrubs that are VERY deer resistant and provide cover and/or food for birds. Any fragrant plant is a plus. I don't know if these are mutually exclusive desires. This year the deer have even eaten a bunch of my buddleia to stubs.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Regards,
Carol

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Shrubs for birds

Post by lorijones » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Wow! Buddleia are normally considered deer resistant.
Here is a link to our website which lists some deer resistant trees and shrubs: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=308#trees. Keep in mind that if deer are hungry enough, they will eat even "deer resistant" shrubs!
The New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station at Rutgers University has also compiled a list of deer resistant plants. You can select shrubs in their search area to narrow the list to just shrubs: http://njaes.rutgers.edu/deerresistance/

There are some pretty good deer repellents on the market today. Bobbex is one of the best but we recommend that you alternate at least 2 different repellents so the deer do not become accustomed to any particular one. Here is a list of some of the deer repellents that the Viettes recommend: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=249.

CarolN
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Post by CarolN » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Lori,

Yeah, we always joke that the deer by us can't read - they don't know what they're not supposed to like! I've tried the repellents, alternating between two with different ingredients, and I swear, the deer come by, and they say to themselves, "Hmm, she's trying to keep us away, it must be especially delicious!" and dig right in!
The buddleia they ate was a big blow because I lost a bunch last winter. I'm hoping the "pruning" the deer gave them won't make them more susceptible to the cold this winter.

I had come across the Rutgers list a little while ago, and now have it bookmarked in my phone. I'm heading to a nursery this weekend, so between your suggestions and the Rutgers list, I should be in good shape.

Thanks again for your help,
Carol

breeder
city_state: Lititz_PA

Post by breeder » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 am

Has anyone tried deer fencing? I'm looking at buying fence from http://www.bennersgardens.com but I'm not how easy it is to install.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 pm

This is one of the companies that Andre recommends for deer fencing. Apparently it is quality fencing but I don't know anything about the installation. I'm sure if you contacted the company, they could advise you. Good luck!

Return to “Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations”