Shrubs for Dense Shade

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
GoodviewDave
antispam: no
city_state: Goodview, VA

Shrubs for Dense Shade

Post by GoodviewDave » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Suggestions please for the front of my north facing home, so dense shade means in the shadow of the house all the time. It does have strong light and lots of air circulation. Soil is clay so it is damp until summer drought. What I want is an evergreen shrub, three to four feet tall and flowers would be great. I am on my third planting of Azaleas - I think it is due to die back. I have seen the post about resistant azaleas varieties and may try again. So you better understand the conditions, plants that have done well are astilbe, heuchera and creeping jenny (which has taken over). A shrub that has not done very well is dwarf nandina. The home is in Goodview, VA about 20 minutes from Roanoke.
Thank you in advance.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Shrubs for Dense Shade

Post by lorijones » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:57 pm

There are several shrubs that might work for you but I would suggest trying to amend the soil with some good compost and gypsum to try to break up the clay soil. Most of the shade loving shrubs prefer soil that has good organic content.

Below are some suggestions of some shade tolerant evergreen shrubs.
  • Pieris japonica (Japanese pieris) - Low-growing cultivars are available.
    Ilex crenata (Japanese holly) - There are several low-growing cultivars available
    Ilex glabra (Inkberry holly) - The cultivar 'Compacta' grows 3'-4' tall
    Rhododendron 'Roseum Elegans' - 6' x 8'
    Kaempferi Azalea - 5'-6'
    Prunus laurocerasus (Common cherrylaurel) - The cultivar 'Schipkaensis' grows only to 4'-5' tall
    Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon Grape-holly) - 3'-6' tall. Very slow growing.
Another nice flowering shrub for shade is Clethra alnifolia (Summersweet Clethra). This shrub is not evergreen but it can grow in deep shade and has sweet smelling flowers in July and into August. It grows 3'-8' tall depending on the cultivar.

GoodviewDave
city_state: Goodview, VA

Re: Shrubs for Dense Shade

Post by GoodviewDave » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Lori, thank you for work! GoodviewDave

Return to “Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations”