Shade Shrubs

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Shade Shrubs

Postby scoutshaw46 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm

I am looking to plant some shrubs/bushes along my property line that is in shade. There are scragly boxwoods on the neighbors side so one side will be blocked. I am in Henrico, Va. I am looking to have them grow about 6 feet. Any suggestions.
Thank you.

Re: Shade Shrubs

Postby lorijones » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:30 pm

It seems that the shade may be the reason that your neighbors boxwood are scraggly. Boxwood do best in full sun or light shade.

Here are a few suggestions for shrubs that can tolerate some shade:

Pieris japonica - 5'-6' tall
    Ilex crenata (holly) - 6'-7' tall
    Other semi dwarf Ilex (holly) varieties
    Rhododendron 'Roseum Elegans' - 6' x 8'
    Kaempferi Azalea - 5'-6'
Site Admin

Re: Shade Shrubs

Postby scoutshaw46 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Thank you Lori

Return to Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations