What tree should I plant?

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
disconnecktie
antispam: no
city_state: overton tx

What tree should I plant?

Post by disconnecktie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 am

I'm looking for suggestions for what kind of tree to plant in Overton, Texas. I would like a fast growing but hardy variety that will provide good shade.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: What tree should I plant?

Post by lorijones » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Here are some suggestions for great shade trees but it is important to consult with a reputable local full service garden center or landscape center to be sure they will thrive in your particular area of Texas.
  • Northern Red Oak - moderate growth rate
    Red Maple 'October Brilliance' - (or another named variety of red maple) a fairly fast growing tree with outstanding fall color
    Sugar Maple (be sure to get a named variety) - moderate to fast growth rate
    Sweet gum (but you will have to deal with the gum balls) - moderate growth rate
    Katsuratree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) - a beautiful tree with multi season interest. It grows about 40' - 60' tall and has a medium to fast growth rate.
    Zelkova (a very handsome tree - 'Village Green' is a very good, faster growing cultivar) - moderate growth rate but faster growth in young trees

Return to “Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations”