planting distance

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

planting distance

Postby bpyler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 am

Recently I had a large maple tree, with a remaining 2.5 foot diameter stump, cut down due to the damage leftover from last Fall's storms in North New Jersey. I am planing on having the stump ground out this Summer. A local nurseryman told me that I cannot plant anouther tree with in a 15 foot radius of the old tree, due to the old root system. Essentially indicating that the old root system would strangel the new tree's growth potential. What are your thoughts? Thank you

Re: planting distance

Postby lorijones » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 pm

I asked Mark Viette about this and he says he has never heard of this happening. If the stump is ground, the roots will eventually rot out. When you plant the new tree, you can just cut or pull out the old maple roots. If you plant it near where the old stump was ground, dig out as many of the chips as you can and fill in with top soil. When you plant your new tree, you should dig the planting hole at least 3 times as wide as the root ball and about as deep. When you do this, there shouldn't be any of the old roots near the new root system. Here is a tip for planting trees:
Site Admin

Return to Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations