stopping bamboo

Post here if you have questions on or need recommendations for choosing trees or shrubs for particular locations or growing conditions.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

stopping bamboo

Postby L. Combs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

We live in Broadway, Va. Our land runs up hill from our neighbor's land. Approximately six years ago he planted about a dozen bamboo stalks just below our property line. Last fall I noticed that there were about an 1/8th of an acre of two foot tall stalks that had spread up onto our property. I took a skid loader and by hand dug out all roots that I could see. What measures can I take to stop any further spread of the bamboo? And to kill any that may try to reroot and grow? Also, I have heard that Leyland Cyperus makes a good sight and sound barrier, that they grow quickly and are fairly hardy, do you have a better suggestion?
L. Combs

Re: stopping bamboo

Postby lorijones » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm

As you well know, bamboo is extremely hard to get rid of. Here is a link to the American Bamboo Society's website where they have a tip on removing the running-type of bamboo: Good luck and be persistent!
As for good screening trees, Leyland cypress will work well but keep in mind that these are very large trees. Here is a link from our website that talks about creating a living privacy screen:
Site Admin

Return to Selecting Trees & Shrubs - Recommendations