Need help to identify tree and damage

Post here have questions about what to do with trees or shrubs damaged by storms, wind, animals, lawn mowers ...
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
CarolN
antispam: no
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Need help to identify tree and damage

Post by CarolN » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 am

I live in Dutchess County, New York.
I have three of these trees on my property and I don't know what they are. One is dying and showing signs of damage below. The other two trees are still healthy.

Here are pictures of the whole tree and the cherry looking fruit that is on them now

Does anyone know what they are and what is causing the damage?

Thanks,
Carol

Appledoc

Re: Need help to identify tree and damage

Post by Appledoc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:25 pm

The pictures are pretty small to be certain, but I believe this is a crabapple. If you cross-section a fruit and you see a 5-pointed star in the cross-sectional view, that confirms that it is a crabapple or apple.

The trunk damage is most likely from yellow-bellied sapsucker. A crabapple might be heavily defoliated this time of the year by the fungal diseases, scab and cedar-apple rust. The picture at the bottom seems to be showing some rust lesions. Your trees might have the appearance of dying if defoliation is severe, but if you cut into a twig and it is still green on the inside, it may come back next spring.

If the twigs are brown on the inside, they are in fact, dead and dead branches should be removed during winter pruning. There are several possible causes for limbs or trees dying: fire blight infection blossoms spread into limbs and cause a lot of die-back, usually with dead blossom clusters and leaves hanging on into the winter. Gradual tree decline and eventual death may be due to root rots, vole damage to the roots or lower trunk, or borers. The holes in the bark in the top picture look too big for borers, and seem more like sapsucker injury.

Appledoc

CarolN

Post by CarolN » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for your help! The damage sure does look like the yellow bellied sapsucker has been visiting. The fruit remains a bit of a mystery. I have a couple of apple trees on the property that are producing abundantly this year. The fruit on these trees look really similar to cherries. They're only about 3/4" wide on long stems. I'll cut them to see if there's a five pointed star in the cross section this weekend and report back. Would it be possible for me to send you the pictures before they were resized to get a better idea of what's going on? If so, please contact me at carol.narmontas@gmail.com.
Regards,
Carol

CarolN

Post by CarolN » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:21 am

You are right on both counts! Just picked one of the fruit, cut it in half, star shaped with small seeds! Thanks again for your help

Appledoc

Post by Appledoc » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Good. It sounds like the main problem on the damaged tree is sapsucker injury. I haven't seen that kill a crabapple, and usually those wounds will heal over. Again, if there are any dead limbs in the tree, those might have been killed by fire blight, and they should be removed back to healthy wood during winter pruning. One complicating factor is that while fire blight is active it could infect fresh sapsucker wounds.

Better luck next year!

Return to “Dealing with Damage to Trees and Shrubs”