Can I prune a Weiglea shrub like this??

Post here if you have questions about when and how to prune trees and shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
vasummer
antispam: no
city_state: Southwest of Charlottesville, VA

Can I prune a Weiglea shrub like this??

Post by vasummer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:15 pm

I have two red Weiglia shrubs. They are about 10/12 years old now and some of the old wood is very gnarly and doesn't produce new stems well. I realize they like to have their oldest branches cut all the way down and then new stems take their place. Well, I confess. I got behind on pruning them. I heard you can "refresh" old shrubs by cutting them back almost to the ground. I've seen this done on holly and even boxwood. These two shrubs have many, many long stems so they are very difficult to reach into with a large pruning shears or a saw and cut them back. I'm wondering if next spring I can just cut ALL the stems back, say within a foot of the ground. These Weiglea shrubs have always sent up fresh shoots from the base. What do you think about pruning them that far down? Is it safe or unsafe?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Can I prune a Weiglea shrub like this??

Post by lorijones » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:56 am

Yes you absolutely can rejuvenate this shrub by cutting it to the ground in late winter or early spring. It will put up lots of new stems but keep only the sturdiest ones and prune out the weak and spindly stems.

Return to “Pruning Trees and Shrubs”