purple plumb tree

Post here if you have questions about when and how to prune trees and shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
thomas
antispam: no
city_state: newport news va

purple plumb tree

Post by thomas » Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi Mr. viette my name is Thomas I have a little problem. my purple plumb tree is about 5 years old. it's in very good shape. but when it rains the limbs get so heavy they hang down to where they look like they will brake. the top limbs really hang down to where you can see right thru it. I do prune it but only from the bottom and is side the tree to let in sun light and air. it's too tall to prune the top. I guess what i am asking is can the tree be cut back to get it's shape back? p.s. the limbs are heavy even when they are dry. my tree is about 15 feet tall

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: purple plumb tree

Post by lorijones » Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Yes you can tip back the branches to reshape this tree. The first thing to do is to thin out 1/4 to 1/3 of the branches to let more light in to the interior of the tree. You need to tip back the rest of the tall branches. If you have a pole saw with a lopper at the end, this should be able to reach up high enough to snip off the branches. If the tree is 15' tall you can cut the top branches back to 10' and cut the rest back to create a pleasing shape.

perimodyk
city_state: adon

Re: purple plumb tree

Post by perimodyk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 am

Your lawn is one of the main and front parts of your homes to elaborate on your house designing and uniqueness. Most of the people very conscious about their best essay review lawn beauty then they are searching for the best design from the internet according to their home.

Return to “Pruning Trees and Shrubs”