Dutchmans Pipe

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
etl1269
antispam: no
city_state: Ronkonkoma Long Island

Dutchmans Pipe

Post by etl1269 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:24 pm

My friend has a 9 foot row of 80 to 90 year old plants or vines that came from over seas. It's doing very well. How or would I be able to get a sprig or cutting to plant in a different area? It is in Yaphank and I'm in Ronkonkoma and I am not allowed to dig anything up.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Dutchmans Pipe

Post by lorijones » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Dutchman's pipe or Pipevine (Aristolochia macrophylla or sometimes listed as Aristolochia durior) is a hardy native vine that is quite vigorous and quick growing. It is often used as a screening vine because of it's rapid growth. It has very unique flowers and attractive heart-shaped leaves.
You can grow this vine from cuttings taken in July. Using a rooting powder (such as Bonide Bontone Rooting Powder) according to the label directions will aid in root formation.
They are also fairly easily propagated from seed that is collected and sown in the fall.

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”