Pecan tree transplant

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
LEE IN VA.
antispam: no
city_state: Chesapeake_VA

Pecan tree transplant

Post by LEE IN VA. » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:14 pm

I have a 7 foot volunteer pecan tree, when is the best time to transplant it and any recommendations on it? Thanks

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Pecan tree transplant

Post by lorijones » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 pm

It may be a little too late to transplant the tree now. Has it started leafing out yet? The best time to move it would be in the late winter or very early spring when it is still dormant. Since the tree is fairly large, perhaps you could root prune it in anticipation of moving it next year. Here are some tips on transplanting trees and shrubs and also on root pruning.

LEE IN VA.
city_state: Chesapeake_VA

Post by LEE IN VA. » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:03 pm

It's got buds the pecans are always a few weeks behind other trees when getting and losing leaves. Where it's at it kind of needs to be transplanted it's in the way. . I'll check out the links you posted. Thanks

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:50 pm

If it needs to be moved, I believe I would go for it but do it as soon as possible. Dig it according to the instructions in the link for moving trees. Be sure to dig a good root ball and try to keep the root ball intact as you move it to its new location and get it into the hole. Keep an eye on it and be sure to water it deeply every 10 days or so unless you get a good soaking rain.

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”