Transplanting a gardenia bush

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
mstlouis
antispam: no
city_state: Richmond, VA

Transplanting a gardenia bush

Post by mstlouis » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 am

I need to move a gardenia bush which I planted to close to a retaining wall. Should I prune is now and move to new site in September. It is 5' x 5'. It had only a few blooms this summer unlike past years when it was full of blooms. How far from the base should I dig to remove?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Transplanting a gardenia bush

Post by lorijones » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm

That is a large gardenia! I would wait to prune it back until a little closer to the time that you are going to transplant it - maybe in mid-August and dig and transplant the shrub in late September or early October. The soil will still be warm at that time and will remain warm in your area for another month or so. You will want to prepare the planting hole before you dig the shrub. When you dig the gardenia, be sure to dig as large a root ball as you can manage. Here are some tips for preparing the new hole and digging your shrub: http://www.viette.com/v.php?pg=688. It would be a good idea to also amend the soil with some Espoma Bio-tone Starter Plus according to the label instructions to enhance root growth and reduce transplant shock. Be sure to replant at the same depth and keep the new transplant well watered but not soggy. Good luck!

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”