Transplanting Azalea bushes

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Rosemary

Transplanting Azalea bushes

Post by Rosemary » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 pm

I have two Exbury tutti frutti azaleas that I would like to move, They are probably over 20 yrs, old. Where they are planted, I can't enjoy them, on the southwest side of the house in mostly shade where no windows are. I never see them blooming. I would like to move them with my other Exburys, but don't know when would be the best time and if I should prune them before I dig 'em up. They will be on the same side of the house but under windows where I can see them and enjoy the fragrances. Zone 7b Southampton Co. Virginia
Thank you

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Transplanting Azalea bushes

Post by lorijones » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:12 pm

The best time to move these shrubs will be when they are dormant - either in the late fall or early spring when the ground is not too wet or frozen. Here is a great tip from our website that gives detailed instructions: http://inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=959. If you dig them when they are dormant, you shouldn't need to cut them back but be careful to keep them watered during dry spells.

Rosemary

Re: Transplanting Azalea bushes

Post by Rosemary » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:08 pm

that's great, thanks so much

Juanita

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”