Rooting a flowering quince from cuttings

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
atucker0985
antispam: no
city_state: New Durham, NH

Rooting a flowering quince from cuttings

Post by atucker0985 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:24 am

Good morning!

I just watched your video on the flowering quince on youtube.com. I have a huge red flowering quince that I am trying to educate myself on. My neighbors have been begging me for a cutting so that they can reproduce it in their own yard. Could you kindly instruct me on the best way to root a quince from cutting? I am not sure which branches to cut, how to cut them, and the best process for rooting them. I live in the lakes region of New Hampshire...near Winnepesaukee.

Thank you very much for your help and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Adam Tucker
New Hampshire

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Rooting a flowering quince from cuttings

Post by lorijones » Wed May 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Michael Dirr recommends that cuttings for rooting quince be taken in August. Other sites say that hardwood cuttings should be taken when the shrub is dormant in late fall or winter.
Here is a great description of the process: http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-in ... -cuttings/. Dirr recommends using a peat:perlite mixture as the potting medium. I hope this helps! Good luck.

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”