Planting Red Sunset Maple Trees

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
dbrenneman
antispam: no
city_state: STUARTS DRAFT

Planting Red Sunset Maple Trees

Post by dbrenneman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

I just purchased and planted 24, 2" caliper Red Sunset Maple trees along my driveway. I am worried about being able to water the trees enough for the trees to establish a good root system. I planted the trees last Thursday, March 21st and got so caught up in planting, mulching and staking that time slipped away without watering the trees. The soil was really wet when we planted and we got 6" of snow over the weekend. So, the trees went 4 days or so without being watered. Was the recent snow a sufficient source of water for these trees? I am hoping that my initial negligence hasn't already damaged my trees? How long can a newly planted tree go without a good watering?

I am borrowing a friends 300 gal. tank and plan on watering the trees every weekend. Is that sufficient to keep these big trees alive?

I would also appreciate any other tips to keep these guys healthy. Thanks.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Planting Red Sunset Maple Trees

Post by lorijones » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Your trees should be fine. They can go a week or 10 days without supplemental watering at this time of the year but they should be watered deeply once a week until they become established (300 gallons should be more than enough for all the trees). If the soil was amended well when they were planted, they shouldn't need supplemental feeding until late next winter when you can apply a slow release organic fertilizer according to the label directions before growth begins.

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”