Propagating Sweet Bush (Calycanthus)

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
flytyer6
antispam: no
city_state: Bernville, PA

Propagating Sweet Bush (Calycanthus)

Post by flytyer6 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm

My Mother has a Calycanthus bush that's about 50 years old and originally belonged to my Grandparants. I would like to propagate plants from the mother plant so that I can give my cousins a plant in rememberance of my Grandparents. I have tried putting root hormone on each leaf stem and placed them in a container of vermiculite and covered the pot with a plastic bag but the leaves just seem to rot. What is the best way to propagate new plants for this type of bush?

Thanks

Ron

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Propagating Sweet Bush (Calycanthus)

Post by lorijones » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:48 am

Sorry to take so long to answer. Calycanthus is difficult to propagate through cuttings. You need to take semi-hardwood cuttings from the stem in June-July; leaves will not work. However, the success of propagating these through cuttings is not great. The easiest way to propagate these shrubs is to sever one of the suckers that has popped up at the edge of the plant from the main shrub with a sharp spade. Dig it up carefully (they must have roots attached) and transplant it to a new location. The best time to do this is in the early spring (February 15 - March 15).

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”