Ceder Tree Transplanting

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
foxfirerodandgun
antispam: no
city_state: Carson, Virginia

Ceder Tree Transplanting

Post by foxfirerodandgun » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:19 am

I want to transplant a number of small, ( 12" tp 6' tall), red cedar trees that are now growing in the woods on my property. They will be transplanted in stagered rows along the North side of the woodline of my front yard that is shaded for a large part of the day in order to form a barrier of sorts.

1) When is the best time of the year to do this?
2) How far apart should the trees and rows be?
3) How big would I expect the root ball to be on one that is roughly six feet tall?
4) Any additional hints and/or tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Carson, Virginia

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Ceder Tree Transplanting

Post by lorijones » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm

• 1. The best time of the year to transplant cedar trees is late fall or early spring when they are dormant.
    2. As far as spacing, I would space them at least 6-10 feet apart in the rows with your rows about 10-18 feet apart. If you dig smaller trees, you could space them closer together and then if need be remove every other one before they grow together as the mature.
    3. The size of the root ball should be about 12" for every 1" of trunk diameter. A 6' tree is not really a "small" tree and will have quite a big root ball. You might have better transplant success if you aim for some smaller trees about 2'-3' tall.
    4. Here are some tips on preparing the planting hole and digging the trees: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=688. Be sure to prepare the planting holes before digging the trees.

Return to “Planting and Transplanting”