Transplanting Knockout Roses

Post here if you have questions about planting or transplanting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Transplanting Knockout Roses

Postby revnred » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Three years ago I planted some knockout roses and now they are huge and seem too close. I had planted a grouping of three to make sure that I covered an area. They are about 3 feet apart, arranged in a triangle. I believe that the spring is the correct time to move them, but my first concern is whether I can move them or not. They are very big, 5+ feet tall, some canes 6 feet. They are the dark pink double bloom, if that matters.

Thank you for your consideration.
revnred

Re: Transplanting Knockout Roses

Postby gerrycoggin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 pm

It might be easier to prune them to make them more compact. You can prune knockouts anytime except early to mid autumn. If, however, you decide to transplant, this is best done when they are dormant(late winter or early spring). When digging the plant, dig as large a root ball as possible. Dig a hole at least twice the diameter of the root ball. Create a mound in the hole consisting of a 50/50 mixture of soil & aged compost. Plant by placing the rose on top of the mound, spreading the roots and making sure the crown is at the same height as originally planted or a little higher. Back fill the hole with a 50/50 mixture of soil & compost and an organic fertilizer like Espoma Rosetone. You will need to prune the plant back by approximately 1/2.
gerrycoggin

Postby revnred » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 am

Thank you for your post. I may be on that in the next few days.
revnred

Postby beths » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:55 am

I got a pink double knock out rose as a gift. I will be planting it in the yard. Can I use plant tone rather than rose tone?
beths

Return to Planting and Transplanting