Planting of Daphne "Carol Mackie"

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
J.T. Lebherz
antispam: no
city_state: Frederick, MD 21701

Planting of Daphne "Carol Mackie"

Post by J.T. Lebherz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:26 pm

I just purchased (yesterday) a Daphne "Carol Mackie" for half price. I read about the Daphne in Andre's "Mid-Atlantic Gardner's Guide" and knew that it was a plant that I wanted to try. My concern is that, having not grown it before, should I plant it now or leave it in the pot till next spring? A friend of mine who gardens has two of them but he cautioned me against planting it now and told me to wait until spring and purchase a new one. I couldn't resist the cost so now I'm the proud owner of a Daphne. It's about 18 inches tall and is in very good shape. 80% to 90% of the leaves are sill on it and it appears healthy. It is in a container. Since Andre indicated that the plant is "difficult to get established", I'd welcome some advice. I live in Frederick, Maryland (central Maryland). If someone suggests planting now, since it is off season, how should I prepare the area for planting? Thanks. JTL

gerrycoggin

Re: Planting of Daphne "Carol Mackie"

Post by gerrycoggin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:28 pm

It would be best to get your Daphne in the ground now because it would be difficult and riskier to overwinter it in the pot. Dig a good size hole and amend the soil according to the Viette's recommendations: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=688. To protect it over the winter, spray the shrub with Bonide Wilt Stop and spread loose leaves or pine needles around the base.

J.T. Lebherz
antispam: no
city_state: Frederick, MD 21701

Re: Planting of Daphne "Carol Mackie"

Post by J.T. Lebherz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

To gerrycoggin: Thanks for the reply. I've at least achieved half of your suggestions - it's now in the ground since my last post. I will take your other advice concerning the "Wilt Stop" and mulching with the leaves. I did not, unfortunately, amend the soil but the area that the shrub has been planted is a very rich growing area so I think that I'll be ok on that point. I did notice that a few of the leaves that were once green turned a tad yellow but not many. I may ask more questions in the future. Once again, thanks for you help.

Return to “Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing”