Apple pear/ Asian pear tree

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
holland_patrick
antispam: no
city_state: Southington,CT

Apple pear/ Asian pear tree

Post by holland_patrick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm in southington ct and was wondering if this tree would be able to grow in my area...would i have to plant more then one... if it helps i do love by a lot of apple orchards

Thay you

Appledoc

Re: Apple pear/ Asian pear tree

Post by Appledoc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:58 am

You should be able to grow Asian pears in your area. However, they are generally susceptible to fire blight, comparable to the most susceptible apples.

It is recommended that you plant two or more varieties in close proximity for pollination purposes.

Here is the projected ripening of Asian pear varieties in south central PA: http://www.acnursery.com/acn_pear.php
Shinsui - August 15
Shinseiki - August 20
Kosui - August 23
Hosui - August 28
Niitaka - September 17
Yoinashi - September 20
Atago - September 23
Shinko - September 25
Olympic - October 10

The last one (Olympic) might be on the late side for you, depending on when you typically have the first frost at your location. If the average date for first frost is not before October 5 you should usually be ok with it.

Return to “Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing”