Magnolia in SW Virginia never produces flowers

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
ksuzlindsay
antispam: no
city_state: Roanoke, VA

Magnolia in SW Virginia never produces flowers

Post by ksuzlindsay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:16 pm

We moved into our home about 4 years ago adn we have a stunning magnolia tree in our yard that appears to be healthy. However, it produces cones each year, but no flowers. I was told if they produce cones then the flowers should also be appearing. What could the problem be? Or perhaps there is no problem . . . maybe I have the wrong sexed tree for flowering. Any suggestions?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Magnolia in SW Virginia never produces flowers

Post by lorijones » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) - the large evergreen trees with fragrant white flowers. These do not have separate male and female trees. The flowers of this species are "perfect" meaning they have both male and female parts on the same flower. If you are getting the formation of seed pods (what you are calling cones) each year, the tree is flowering. Seed pods cannot form unless a flower was pollinated. The flowers are large and solitary and appear in May and June. They should be visible but I had an old one in my yard when we lived in Staunton and often I didn't notice the blooms because, though they are on the tips of branches, they were often partially hidden by the large evergreen leaves. The flowers are more easily seen when you view the tree from a distance.

ksuzlindsay
city_state: Roanoke, VA

Re: Magnolia in SW Virginia never produces flowers

Post by ksuzlindsay » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply! I am assuming that that is the type of magnolia we have, and we do indeed have dropped seed pods (which I was calling cones simply because of their shape) but there has never been a single white flower. Trust me - I know it sounds crazy, but I have been searching for a few years now, checking often. No fragrance. No flowers. Anything I can do to encourage more flower growth?

Return to “Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing”