River Birch

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

River Birch

Postby KMitch » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Help!
Love the radio show BTW.
I have a clump of 3-4 river birch trees anchoring each corner of a bed that extends across the front of my house at the foundation, that were planted four years ago. When purchased them I followed the recommendation to plant them 5-6 ft. from the foundation; however they have grown to about twenty feet tall. I have kept the bottom branches pruned to about four feet from the ground, and have spot lights highlighting the beautiful red bark at night.
My concern is that the tree can grow 40-60 ft tall, (duh) and I worry about the possibility of damage to my foundation and the siding of my house. (I know, I should have thought about that before I planted them. :mrgreen: ) Would you recommend topping and shaping them, or just cutting down and removing them, starting out fresh with a smaller tree that does not grow to be so large?
I love these trees, and wish that I would have thought a little more before planting them so close to the house. Or moved then earlier to another part of my property.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I reside in Northern Dinwiddie County, VA
Thank you in advance.
KMitch

Re: River Birch

Postby lorijones » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm

I asked Andre about this and he feels the best thing would be to cut them down and start over - sorry! They should never have recommended that you plant them so close to the house. He feels that it will be hard to keep them at a smaller size because even if you top them and continually prune them to keep them to a smaller size, the root system will continue to grow and expand and this may eventually damage the foundation. Maybe you should plant another tree in those areas and plant a new river birch in another part of the yard so you can still enjoy the tree.
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: River Birch

Postby billyboy295 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:14 am

I live at 241 Wyndham Hill Dr.,fishersville, Va. I have several birch trees, heritage and reg. I did plant one too close to side walk and house. The roots were getting big and extending toward house. I cut the roots about 3 feet from the base of tree. This has not bothered the tree at all.
I am expereicing some problems with all my birch trees with the leaves turning yellow and falling off prematurily.
What is needed for this? These trees are 9 years old and 25/30 feet tall. Very nice trees with pretty bark,
Sincerely,
William Mixon
butterball29@comcast.net
billyboy295

Return to Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing