white mold on sprouting chinquipin nuts

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

white mold on sprouting chinquipin nuts

Postby Peter Page » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:39 pm

I have stored chinquipin nuts in wet spangham moss in the crisper of my refrigerator prior to planting them. Some have sprouted but have white mold on them. Should I treat them with something prior to planting them?
Peter Page

Re: white mold on sprouting chinquipin nuts

Postby lorijones » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:23 pm

It is probable that the sphagnum moss was a bit too wet. When are you planning to plant them? I have heard that planting in the fall is best but certainly they can also be planted out in the spring. You might want to spray them with a mild solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Use 1 Tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup of water to make a spray. Be sure of the concentration of your hydrogen peroxide. If you use 35% hydrogen peroxide, use ONLY 1/4 tsp to 1 cup of water. This can be sprayed on the sprouted nuts to help control the mold.
Once they have sprouted, it is best to get them planted. Keep them on the drier side to prevent root rot.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing