fertilizer for quaking aspen

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
rfp3
antispam: no
city_state: Harrisonburg, Virginia

fertilizer for quaking aspen

Post by rfp3 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 am

My quaking aspen rarely turn gold like they do out west. What kind of fertilizer would help this? They get more rainfall than Colorado and are in full sun.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: fertilizer for quaking aspen

Post by lorijones » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) do not do well in areas with summer temperatures above 90 degrees F. They grow naturally in higher elevations or in cooler climates. I suspect that the environmental conditions that lead to the brilliant golden fall color in the northeast, western states, Canada, and Alaska just do not occur in our area of Virginia. There are also genetic variations between trees and even out west some trees have different leaf color in the fall.
It sounds like you have them planted in an optimal location. I don't feel that this is an issue that fertilizer will solve. That being said, aspen prefer more acidic soil and the soils in our area tend to be more alkaline because they are limestone-based. I would fertilize your trees with Espoma Holly-tone in spring and fall according to the label directions.

rfp3
city_state: Harrisonburg, Virginia

Re: fertilizer for quaking aspen

Post by rfp3 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:24 am

Thank you lorijones for taking the time to answer. That helps me understand and I'll try the Hollytone suggestion.

Return to “Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing”