drip line

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

drip line

Postby Jack Facts » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 pm

I recently heard a Bartlett certified arborist on radio (think it was your Sat morn show on WNAV) say that trees should be "fertilized near the trunk, not at the drip line."
Since this was contrary to my understanding, i checked with a pro i know who said research indicates fertilization should start half way between trunk and drip line,
then extend up to 1/3 that distance beyond the drip line (he cited research by Carpenter in CT and Thompson in NC). Not sure why the arborist said what he did -
perhaps came out wrong. Pls advise which version you espouse, and if he was on your show, and you agree with me, hope you'll find a way to correct the message
received by your audience. tnx
Jack Facts

Re: drip line

Postby lorijones » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 pm

I didn't hear the show but Mark thinks they were discussing the application of one of the Bayer Advanced products like the 12 Month Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed. This product contains a systemic insecticide plus a slow release fertilizer. The label states to:
1. Measure distance around tree trunk or height of shrub or determine container size
2. Measure and pour required amount of product into bucket of water
3. Pour solution around tree or shrub base or in container

In general, though, you are correct that when fertilizing a tree, the fertilizer should be applied over the entire root system which extends well beyond the drip line.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing