Apple Tree Selection

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
cristynicole
antispam: no
city_state: Sutton, WV

Apple Tree Selection

Post by cristynicole » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I am looking for a fast growing full size apple tree that will produce apples quickly. I've been looking on-line about Nova Spy. I plan to plant it in a mountainous area for wildlife. Would this be a good selection or would there be a better variety of apple tree that would give me the results I am looking for?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Apple Tree Selection

Post by lorijones » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:19 pm

'Nova Spy' sounds like the perfect variety for what you want. It is quick to bear. Keep in mind that you will need to plant at least 3 different varieties that bloom at a similar time to ensure good pollination. Two other quick bearers that can be used to pollinate 'Nova Spy' are 'Goldrush' and 'Jonathan'. Liberty would be a good choice as a pollinator for Nova Spy and it is very disease resistant as well.

cristynicole
city_state: Sutton, WV

Post by cristynicole » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Thank you for your response. I have just planted a Nova Spy and a Goldrush apple tree on my wooded mountain land. These are standard size trees planted 25-30 ft apart. Would these two varieties be sufficient in pollinating or is it necessary to plant a third tree? My space is limited so if the third tree is necessary would a couple hundred yards be too far away?

Appledoc

Post by Appledoc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Nova Spy and Goldrush will probably pollinate each other once they start to bloom, but standard size trees will not come into bearing as quickly as more dwarfing ones would have. Also, apple trees need plenty of sunlight for good flower production. A couple hundred yards would be a little far away to count on as a pollenizer. If you find room for more trees nearby, "Enterprise' would be another later blooming disease-resistant one to consider. Also, ornamental crabapple trees commonly serve as pollenizers for edible apples, and one such as 'Bob White' produces fruit hanging into the winter for birds On a more dwarfing rootstock it wouldn't take up much space.

Good luck with the deer (and bears if you have them)!

Return to “Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing”