Propagating miniature Japanese maple trees

Post here if you have questions about growing trees & shrubs, fertilizing, or selecting trees or shrubs
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Aldrich
antispam: no
city_state: South africa

Propagating miniature Japanese maple trees

Post by Aldrich » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:42 am

Morning Sir / Madam
I,for sentimental reasons would love to propagate a. Miniature Japanses maple from my Deseased parents home, for planting at my home. I live in South Africa. Please can someone give me some guidance. I have never done this before. Their maple is over 40 yrs old and stands Aprox 3 foot high and i would hate to attempt to transplant it in the event i destroy it. My email address is aldrichlumberjack@gmail.com

Thanking you

Aldrich

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Propagating miniature Japanese maple trees

Post by lorijones » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am

You are correct that you cannot safely transplant this mature tree. The best way to propagate Japanese maples is by seed or by grafting. However, if this Japanese maple is itself a grafted tree, if you propagate by seed, the tree you get will probably not be the same as the parent tree.

Return to “Tree Culture including growing and fertilizing”