Anyone grow Rose Creek Abelia in partial shade?

Click here if you have general tree or shrub questions don't fit into one of the categories below.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
vasummer

Anyone grow Rose Creek Abelia in partial shade?

Post by vasummer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 am

We're in Zone 7 of central Virginia. I've been looking for a shrub to plant in a pie-shape area that faces north and west. The straight parts of the pie are the walls of our house and the rounded side is a sidewalk. Some people suggested one of the smaller hollies and that would be okay, but I'd like something prettier because we sit near that spot.

I saw the Rose Creek variety of Abelia on the internet and liked the variations of color on its flowers. I know Abelia will take some shade, but am concerned about the north and west direction it would face. That site gets no direct sun in the winter, but plenty of bright light. In summer it receives sun from 12:30 till 7:00 p.m. Do you think the shrub would get enough sun to grow nice and full and produce flowers nicely?

I've never grown Abelia. What's your experience with the Rose Creek variety? I'm just wondering if it lives up to the praises it seems to get.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Anyone grow Rose Creek Abelia in partial shade?

Post by lorijones » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:21 pm

I haven't had experience growing this Abelia but it sounds wonderful! I feel certain that it will get enough light in the location you describe. Sun in the summer from 12:30 - 7:00 would be considered full sun and this cultivar will do well in full sun to part shade so it should work fine there. Be sure to amend the soil before you plant.

Andre gave these instructions for planting Leyland cypress but the same instructions could be generalized to planting any shrubs:

Andre recommends a mixture of Plant-tone, rock phosphate, green sand, and peat moss or compost when planting. Below are his specific instructions:

1. Dig a large planting hole 2 times as deep as the root ball and 3 times as wide.
2. Spread a tarp out on the ground and as you dig your hole, put the soil on the tarp.
3. On top of the soil on the tarp add:

8 handfuls of Plant-tone
8 handfuls of rock phosphate
8 handfuls of green sand
3 - 3 gallon pails of peat moss or compost (this is important as a soil additive)

4. Mix well with the native soil on the tarp.
5. Back-fill the hole with some of this soil mix and tamp it down.
6. Add enough so when it is tamped down and the root ball is placed in the hole, the top of the ball is 1" higher than the
ground-level (this is necessary because the root ball will sink when it is watered). A leading cause of problems with
Leyland cypress is that get planted too deep.
7. Now place the root ball in the hole and fill in around it, tamping the soil as you go.
8. At the very end, water the tree well.

Just thought I'd throw that in with the assumption that eventually you will plant something there!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this Abelia?

vasummer
city_state: Southwest of Charlottesville, VA

Post by vasummer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I was a bit disappointed as I couldn't locate 'Rose Creek' Abelia in the Charlottesville/Staunton area of Virginia. I probably could have ordered it from Forest Farm, but I wanted to select my own plant, so I opted for the 'Edward Goucher' species I found at a local garden center. It's a lovely looking shrub at it's baby size now and hope it will grow well in its new home. I'm hoping your opinion that 12:30 to 7:00 p.m. summer sun exposure qualifies as full sun. It sure seems logical, as the sun is very strong here.

Lori, I didn't see your reply outlining planting instructions and additives till after I planted the Abelia, so I missed adding rock phosphate and greensand. I'm hoping that adding these to the surface now and working them into the top layer will be sufficient. Thanks for your help. :D

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 pm

That will work. Just use the right proportions of each, mix them together, sprinkle around the base of the shrub out to the drip line, and scratch it in!

vasummer
city_state: Southwest of Charlottesville, VA

Post by vasummer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Okay . . . I scratched in the forgotten items. But let it be known, that if I would have bought shares in Espoma, Bonide, and Maloginite years ago . . . my gardening practices alone would have vastly increased their sales and profits, not to mention improving our retirement fund! :lol: Oh well, my plants are happy.

dupofebon
city_state: England

Post by dupofebon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:32 am

If you have desire to grow the rose creek abelia among the all partial shade so you need to read the full article. You can also get more stuff at www.resumeshelpservice.com/resumevalley-com-review this was the site that have all information at this along some fiction that have some power at this along all information.

Return to “General Questions”