Ants in flower beds

Post here if you are having problems with ants
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Helen Shickel
antispam: no
city_state: Bridgewater, VA

Ants in flower beds

Post by Helen Shickel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:21 am

Do ants kill flowers? I have been trying to find out what is killing individual plants of Vinca, especially young plants which have been added to replace ones killed. I see pencil size holes and lots of ants in one section of the vincas but most of the vincas still look beautiful. The leaves begin to roll or curl and the whole plant dies but plants are just being affected one by one. Any ideas of what might be killing them?

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Ants in flower beds

Post by lorijones » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:08 am

It is possible that the ants are indirectly causing the decline and death of your vinca by causing damage to the roots and creating large air pockets around them. The small feeder roots may be damaged or may not be in contact with the soil for nutrient and water absorption. You should probably try to kill the ants. I would suggest trying Bonide Ant, Flea & Tick Killer Granules or Bayer Advanced Complete Ant Killer Plus according to the label directions.
Another solution that will also help with soil nematodes which I mentioned in your previous post is a product called Neptune's Harvest Crab Shell. This is a non-chemical way to help control ants and other pests that damage plant roots. Here's how it works (quote taken from Neptune's Harvest.com):
Crab Shell is high in Chitin (Kite-en), which promotes the growth of Chitin eating bacteria in the soil. It will help eliminate Ants, Grubs, Fungus and Root Nematodes, because they are all Chitin based in structure.
The crab shell can be top dressed or worked into the soil according to the label directions. Here is a link for the product: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/cs-604.html

Return to “Ants”