Ants

Post here if you are having problems with ants
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
jcallen119
antispam: no
city_state: Newport News, VA

Ants

Post by jcallen119 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:25 am

I have a lot of ants in my yard, and now I am starting to have trouble with them in the house.
I don't want to spray inside or out, since I have pets and I try to maintain a pesticide-free yard.
I have tried diatomaceous earth around the yard but I can't cover the whole place with the stuff!
I was wondering if I am particularly attracting them with something I am growing. I have many
flowers for butterflies, such as butterfly weed. What would you suggest I do about all these ants?
Thanks so much,
jca

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Ants

Post by lorijones » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I am having the same trouble with large black ants in the house. I don't think they are being attracted by your plants. They just seem to be particularly bad this year! The trick with diatomaceous earth (DE) is to try to find the nests of the ants and sprinkle the DE on and around the nests. Be sure you get the horticultural grade of DE. Sometimes it includes some type of bait to attract the ants to it. It must be reapplied after a rain as it loses effectiveness after it gets rained on. Rather than trying to spread it all over your lawn, spread it around the perimeter of your home as a barrier. It can also be used inside the house according to the label directions. DE is not harmful to humans or pets when used according the the label.

Return to “Ants”