Fruit Flies/Gnats

Post here if you have questions on fruit flies, whiteflies, and gnats
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
BrendaEnnis
antispam: no
city_state: Belle Haven, Virginia

Fruit Flies/Gnats

Post by BrendaEnnis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I live on the Eastern Shore on the Occahonnock creek - I also have several apple trees. I also have an innundation of these gnats, although some people call them fruit flies. I really don't know the difference but what I want to know is how long do they last over here. Everyone I talk to has the same problem - it's driving me crazy. I've put saucers of vinegar with a little water and dish detergent at different places around the house but even though these dishes fill up daily with the little devils, they're still swarming! Anyone have any ideas? I thought about turning the thermostat down to 60 and freezing them out but I'm afraid I'd freeze myself out as well! Help!

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Fruit Flies/Gnats

Post by lorijones » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:06 pm

They seem to be especially bad this year! I finally took my kitchen counter covered compost container outside - somehow, they were finding a way to get in there! They had been attracted to the tomatoes that were ripening on my counter, too. Moving the compost outside seemed to discourage them and they seemed to disappear after I did that. Now my tomatoes are done for the season so I my fruit fly problem is now gone. You really need to cover all your fruit and vegetables that are not in the refrigerator with a fine mesh cloth so the fruit flies can't get on them. Seal all fruit and vegetable peelings, etc in a plastic bag so they can't get to them. Eventually, they will will leave! There are room foggers you can get but I for one wouldn't want to use one in my kitchen. Good luck - fall is here so they will soon be gone!

kmcc54

Post by kmcc54 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm

I also live part time on Occohannock Creek and experienced the same problem. They are miserable little things! After a party one night, we left an empty bottle of wine on the kitchen counter (it only have a little in the bottom). The next morning most of the flies were inside the bottle. I added water, swished and poured them outside. We also got a fruit fly catcher from Ace Hardware for next year but did not get around to trying it out. I hope this info helps for next year. Leesburg, va.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks for the tips! I noticed that they do have an affinity for wine as I often seemed to have a fruit fly in my wine glass this summer! They were awful this year especially in my compost pail! Ugg!

sylvia
city_state: hampton bays, ny

Post by sylvia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:12 am

I live in Hmqapton Bays, NY and have gnats. I have a Fig tree and a Flag plant, put them in new pots in November and have been barrage with them, I did the vinegar, bought sprays nothing is working, I'm about to get rid of the plants. Any suggestions?

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 am

Are these gnats hovering around the soil surface? If so they are probably fungus gnats. These are common pests of indoor plants and in the greenhouse. They thrive in overly wet potting media and can cause damage to your plants. Usually chemical control is not necessary. They can often be controlled by better cultural practices. Let your potting soil dry out between waterings and dump any standing water from pot saucers. A good way to break the life cycle and get rid of these pesky flies is to place a 1/4" layer of sand on the surface of the pot. This prevents the adults from laying eggs.

Return to “Fruit Flies, Whiteflies, & Gnats”