How to control Cicada Killer Bees

Post here if you have specific problems with bees, wasps, and hornets
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
donna1wren
antispam: no
city_state: elizabethtown pa

How to control Cicada Killer Bees

Post by donna1wren » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I live in Lancaster County Pa. In 2009 I had a few Cicada Killer bees in my garden digging tunnels but in 2010 I had way to many. I had to stay out of parts of my garden and they just scare me.
I was thinking about putting grub killer in the areas were they dug tunnels and laid their eggs. Since the lava hibernate till spring I would work the grub killer into the soil about June1.
Do you think it would work or what do you suggest?

Thanks
Donna

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: How to control Cicada Killer Bees

Post by lorijones » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Grub killer will most likely not work for these wasps because, though the larvae overwinter in the ground, they are surrounded by a hard cocoon that would protect them. Their life cycle is very different from the beetle grubs which are controlled with grub killers. The best control is to dissuade them from using your garden for their nesting area. Here is a great website that has some good information about these wasps: http://sites.lafayette.edu/hollidac/res ... ler-wasps/. There is a link near the bottom of the page with suggestions for controlling them.
In addition to these suggestions, Sevin dust can be applied in and around the entrance to their tunnels at night when they are in the burrow. When you no longer see activity at the nest, just cover the hole with a shovelful of soil.

Return to “Bees, Wasps, and Hornets”