swarming bees

Post here if you have specific problems with bees, wasps, and hornets
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
GaryBanas
antispam: no

swarming bees

Post by GaryBanas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 am

I live west of Leesburg, Va. in a rural setting.
I recently noticed that I have huge numbers of a type of bee(definitely a Hymenoptera) black body, whitish face and white bulls-eye butt that are swarming a Pussy Willow bush I have in my front yard.
Bush is very healthy, 6 to 7' tall and vigorous. Cannot find any nest of sorts in or around bush but these bees are aggressive and WILL zap you if agitated(don't ask how I know).
My questions are: is this peculiar to a Pussy Willow?, bee mating ? Would rather not kill the bees but if I continue to get stung for just walking by, those bees will be nuked!

Any help?

Gary Banas

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: swarming bees

Post by lorijones » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Are you sure they are not the bald faced hornet? They will have a paper type nest. Maybe they are just beginning to build it. You can spray at night with Sevin to eliminate them.

Return to “Bees, Wasps, and Hornets”