european hornets

Post here if you have specific problems with bees, wasps, and hornets
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Grammyx4
antispam: no
city_state: Bridgewater, Va.

european hornets

Post by Grammyx4 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 pm

I have european hornets chewing up my lilac tree. Is there something I can do to persuade them to go bother someone else. There is a fish pond about 15 to 20ft away and flowers planted under the tree. I would prefer to use something organic, but at this point, will take any suggestions. Those things are scary, big!!
Terry Claxton
Bridgewater, Va.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: european hornets

Post by lorijones » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:09 pm

These hornets are stripping bark from the lilac for nest building material. You can spray the lilac trunks with liquid Sevin to keep them from chewing on the bark and damaging the lilac. If you are careful to just keep the spray on the tree trunk, there shouldn't be any problem with the pond. As far as an organic product, pyrethrin based pesticides may work but they are also toxic to fish and aquatic insects so you need to be careful about spray runoff getting into waterways as well.
If you are able to locate the nest, you can spray the opening at night with a wasp and hornet spray. Always read and follow the label directions when spraying pesticides.

Grammyx4
city_state: Bridgewater, Va.

Post by Grammyx4 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Is there a time of day that is better to spray the trunks of my lilac. Can I go ahead and spray now even though they haven't appeared yet on the tree. Usually it is in July when they show up. I have noticed that they stay on the tree during the night, instead of going back to their nest.

Johna
city_state: Canada

Post by Johna » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:00 am

Oh me I'm scared of any type of insects )! They make ma feel scared of my wits))!

Return to “Bees, Wasps, and Hornets”