spider mites

Post here if you have questions about spider mites
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
carolnell
antispam: no

spider mites

Post by carolnell » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:13 am

I have a butterfly bush that has lost most of its leaves due to spider mites. I've blasted it repeatedly with the hose. I've used Bonide Mite-X & Capt. Jack's Dead Bug Brew. I had earlier in the season used a systemic to kill aphids that had caused deformed leaves. It's planted in full sun & has about 10ft all around it so it gets good air circulation. Help!

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: spider mites

Post by lorijones » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

You might try Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control according to the label directions; if it is available in your area (this product is not available for use in some counties on Long Island). This will also take care of aphids. If your Buddleia is in bloom, do not spray when bees are active; it is best to spray early in the morning or early in the evening when bees are less active.
At this point, depending on the amount of damage, you might want to cut your Buddleia back and then spray it. It should flush out new growth which, again depending on where you live (this is why we like to know), should have time to harden off before freezing temperatures occur. You could even get another flush of blooms depending on how hard you cut it back. Feed it with about 6 handfuls of Plant-tone.

Return to “Spider Mites”