white fuzzy aphids

Post here if you have questions about aphids
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
rsg2001
antispam: no
city_state: Queens, New York

white fuzzy aphids

Post by rsg2001 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I have what I believe are white fuzzy aphids, populating my vegetable garden (along with 'regular' aphids). They have arrived via leaves that are falling from an old hackberry tree which overhangs part of the garden - many of these leaves falling I noticed have regular aphids and occasionally a couple of these fuzzy white ones on the back. This is the first time I've had these in the 18 years I've had the garden. 1) Are these fuzzy aphids harmful? 2) While I know how to get rid of them in my vegetable garden (using Hot Pepper Wax Spray), I'd like to address the issue of the tree that has them - any suggestions? The fuzzy white aphids are not only in the garden, but on the deck and other items in the area.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: white fuzzy aphids

Post by lorijones » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:14 pm

These are probably wooly aphids. They cause damage to the leaves of plants because they will suck the juices from the foliage. You can control them with a spray of Bonide Eight. This product is safe to use around fruits and vegetables. Spray only according to the label directions.

Return to “Aphids”