Evodia daniellii

Post here if you have questions about Japanese Beetles
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
John Silcox
antispam: no
city_state: Spring Grove_PA

Evodia daniellii

Post by John Silcox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:17 pm

My wife heard a part of your discussion about the above referenced trees, also called bee trees. She didn't hear all of the interview, and I missed the program completely, so I don't know whether or not you are aware that the blossoms of these trees are toxic to Japanese Beetles.

I planted six seedlings of these trees approximately twenty years ago. At the time I kept two hives of bees. These trees blossom between mid July and mid August, when there are few other nectar producing blossoms. My wife and I recently noticed that during the blossom time there are dead Japanese Beetles amid the blossom droppings, some of which fall on our driveway. I have watched this during the last two years. It's a good thing I am retired, because it is something akin to watching the grass grow. A beetle will land on a blossom and crawl around, apparently ingesting something. After a period of time, maybe fifteen or twenty minutes, the beetle will drop off and either spiral down or descend at an angle to the ground. The ones that land on the driveway will start to crawl toward the grass, and very shortly turn over on their backs and paw the air for a while, then die. In a short time small ants eat out the inside, leaving the brittle shell which doesn't last long. Two years ago I spoke with a person at our county agricultural office and told them I would contact them so they could witness this. Unfortunately we have had no Japanese beetles for the last two years, so there has been nothing for them to see. I will contact them again during the next beetle cycle.
Sincerely, John Silcox
306 Deer Trail Road
Spring Grove, PA 17362

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Evodia daniellii

Post by lorijones » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks for the information. This is really interesting! I'm going to have to do some research and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Japanese Beetles”